CHARLOTTE, N.C., March 24, 2021 - Charlotte will soon be included on the list of the largest U.S. cities with a four-year medical school.* For months, following the announcement that Atrium Health and Wake Forest Baptist Health have combined to operate as a single enterprise, the discussion around the Queen City has been where a second campus of Wake Forest School of Medicine will be located in Charlotte. Leaders from Atrium Health, Wake Forest Baptist Health and Wake Forest University today announced they've chosen a 20-acre site in midtown Charlotte, at the current corner of South McDowell Street and Baxter Street, adjacent to US-277.
Wake Forest School of Medicine began sending its first students to Atrium Health Carolinas Medical Center earlier this month,(2021) as part of its rotations.
The initial class of Wake Forest School of Medicine - Charlotte first-year M.D. students is anticipated to begin their education in 2024.
Key Stats for the Wake Forest School of Medicine - Charlotte
The two campuses of the Wake Forest School of Medicine will build on the clinical and academic excellence of Atrium Health and the educational and research distinction of Wake Forest Baptist to create a next-generation, academic learning health system.
- Location will be on a 20-acre site in midtown Charlotte, at the current corner of South McDowell Street and Baxter Street, adjacent to US-277.
- As the largest educator of physicians and other medical professionals in the state, the new Atrium Health is already educating nearly 3,200 total learners across more than 100 specialized programs each year.
- It aspires to be one of the most diverse learner bodies in the country - producing a generation of medical professionals representative of the communities it serves. Through this, it will reduce the shortage of doctors working in inner-city, suburban and rural areas of North Carolina.
- The two medical school campuses in Winston-Salem and Charlotte will create a new, preeminent regional corridor for health technology and innovation. Convening the surrounding academic, healthcare, government and business communities, the corridor will focus on improving health by bringing new medicines and treatments to patients in half the time and advancing economic equity.
- Research capabilities will be expanded across a large, diverse market to drive discovery that improves the health of Atrium Health's patients and communities with an emphasis on health equity.
- It will increase national recognition and prominence of Atrium Health and Wake Forest School of Medicine in key areas, including Aging and Mobility, Alzheimer's Disease, Cancer, Cardiovascular Disease, Diabetes & Obesity, Pain & Addiction and Regenerative Medicine.
- A comprehensive philanthropic campaign will also be forthcoming this year, a component of which will be dedicated to supporting the infrastructure and naming of the facilities and programs at the school of medicine.
This school has multiple campuses
Wake Forest School of Medicine - Charlotte,NC
South McDowell Street and Baxter Street,
North Carolina - United States
0 MedsHousing Listing matches for you near Wake Forest School of Medicine - Charlotte,NCAdvanced search
Here are the results for your search results without your specifications for amenities:
are looking for? Let landlords know
where the demand is! Create a Want Ad!